If you are reading this chances are you want to make it big on the internet. A few lucky individuals find success almost instantly. For most of us however, we need to work a bit harder for that allusive internet fame and fortune.
I started online marketing about 10 years ago and initially had mild success. After managing to sign up 240 people to a downline builder I was hooked. The downline builder fell over but that one success kept me motivated and trying new things even when it looked like I was going nowhere.
Having learnt a lot since those times I have compiled a list of 3 of the most common mistakes made by newbie affiliate marketers.
3) Looking for the next ‘Sure Thing’ – Everyone dreams of hitting it big. We’ve all seen the ads. ‘Earn Money The Easy Way’, ‘Make $5,000 In One Week’… It can happen but it’s usually those individuals who already have systems in place and can capitalize on a new opportunity.
If we are just starting out we need to think long term. I prefer the ‘building quality content websites approach’. Some use squeeze pages to build giant opt-in lists and others don’t even have a website. They can all work. Find an approach that suits you. The important thing is do your research, take your time to set up your program and you will see results.
2) Failure to build on what you have – When I first started out I was building referrals for traffic exchange programs. Nothing was happening so I moved on only to find out about 5 months later that the program was still generating traffic to an old website. You may not have the same system but I be you have something you can build on. Even if you think you have nothing, start building today for your future success.
Here are some things you can start with.
* Build a website. You can use a free website builder such as NVU without needing any knowledge of html. You can download it from www.nvu.com
There are other free and paid versions you can look into yourself.
* If you want to get a bit fancier with your websites and you don’t know html, you can learn it hear for free – www.htmldog.com I recommend learning at least basic html at some stage.
* Do keyword research on your specific interest. You can start at overture here - http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/
* Set up an autoresponder. I like aweber.com or followingup.com. Your opt-in list will eventually be your biggest asset.
It is beyond the scope of this article to go into any detail about any of the above points. It is a starting point to put you in the right direction. Again, think long term and start building an internet presence today.
1) Giving up to soon – Someone once said “The greatest oak tree was once a tiny nut that stood its ground.” You may feel like that tiny nut, but believe me, persist and build on what you have and you will see greater and greater results.
Make a plan and stick to it. Each week I make sure I spend time updating my websites, exchanging links, writing articles, traffic generation, researching keywords, looking for content, partners or learning from competitors.
Just do a little each day. Keep focused on your core business and spend most of your time building that up. Don’t give up and you will see incredible success.